Skip to main content

I was accused of a sex crime and vindicated in court. Can I sue the Law Enforcement agency?

Tacoma, WA |

I have a prior sex crime conviction. A woman that was close to me found out and began blackmailing me to get money. Because of my prior my wife and I went along with it for a year. We got tired of it and told her we would pay no more. She in turn made an outlandish statement to the police and I was arrested. I have been vindicated in the court of law after spending $150,000 due to the patrol officers lack in investigative work. Is this grounds for a lawsuit? If so, what can I sue for and what type of lawyer would I need?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There aren't enough facts here to judge whether you have a cause of action. You need a civil rights lawyer.


I agree with Mr. Kertchen. Issues, such as the one you have presented, are very fact-intensive, and you have not provided enough information. Additionally, would need a civil rights attorney.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.


Yes, this could possibly be grounds for a lawsuit. However, the potential for succeeding in a lawsuit against law enforcement is extremely case-specific. You will want to find an attorney with experience filing civil rights claims in U.S. federal court. Ideally, you will want an attorney with experience bringing claims against law enforcement.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer