I was able to post my 10% of my bail to a bondsmen at arrainment but having difficulty securing the other 90%. What will happen
3 attorney answers
Call the bondsman immediately to make arrangements or return to jail or court promptly. If the Court records indicate that you have not satisfied the Court's bond requirements, you could be arrested at anytime.
Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not permit confidential communication.
Excellent advice from Mr. Leary. I have nothing else to add other than that you shouldn't miss any court appearances under any circumstance.
There are two ways to bond out of jail:
1) Pay the entire amount in cash or cashier's check. You get the full amount back at the conclusion of the case. (It is forfeited if you abscond from court.
2) Use a bonding company. You pay the bonding company 10% of the bond amount and they agree to be on the hook for the remaining 90% should you fail to appear for court. Bonding companies do this because they keep the 10% (that's how they make money) and they generally get collateral for the remaining 90%.
In your case, the bonding company posted the bail with the understanding that you would later collaterize the bond - meaning that you would provide them collateral.
If you do not keep up your end of the bargain, the bonding company can "surrender the bond." This means that they are no long willing to be responsible for you remaining in the community. The bonding company has the power to return you to jail. and they are then off the hook.
The best thing that you can do is to remain in contact with your bail agent. Keep him/her informed about your situation. If you are ignoring their phone calls, they will get cold feet.
I cannot predict what your bond company will do. in the grand scheme of things $2500 is not a very big bond for them. When you get in the neighborhood of bonds in the five and six figures, they will be much more cautious.
Good luck with you case.