Skip to main content

I was a passenger injured in a car accident and the driver had no insurance

Warren, OH |
Attorney answers 3


You may sue the driver of the car for your medical bills and, if there was a second car in the accident, you may sue that driver too and maybe that driver had insurance.


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow your doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to your medical records. Photograph your injuries and the damage done to any vehicle or other property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

The situation you describe is one where uninsured motorist coverage will protect you. If you have your own automobile which has uninsured motorist coverage on it, you should file a claim with your own insurance company. If you live in a household with another blood relative, you will also be covered under that relative's uninsured motorist coverage, even if they own a separate car and are insured under a different insurance company. If there is such coverage available through a relative, also file your claim with that relative's insurance carrier. Most uninsured motorist coverage extends to resident relatives in the household.

When I say that you should file the claim, you really should have a personal injury attorney do it on your behalf. Your attorney can then guide you through any statements that you may be required by contract to give to your own carrier concerning the incident. Do not give any statements without representation of counsel.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.


You need to get yourself taken care of and immediately contact an attorney. Most reputable attorneys will meet with you for free to discuss your case.

You need someone to help guide you through this.

I wish you the best. If you would like a free consultation please do not hesitate to contact my office at (440) 471-7784 or (216) 288-0792.


Joseph C. Patituce

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer