Skip to main content

I was a passenger in bad hit&run accident,no ins on car I was in and have tons of medical bills, what can I do?

Minneapolis, MN |

I was a passenger in a hit and run accident on the highway. A semi truck hit us and kept going. I was injured badly and had a 5 night hospital stay and need surgery on my shoulder and knee. My medical insurance wont pay for it, and I did not ow a car or obviously have car insurance at the time. Is there anything I can do or programs that will help me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Depending on whether you reside with anyone who owns a vehicle you would be possibly eligible for Minnesota Assigned Claims for payment of your medical and wage loss up to $20,000.00.

If you do live with someone who has insurance you may have coverage from their vehicle.

If you are interested you can call me for a free consultation

Good luck.

Ken LaBore

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Report the accident to the police right away. The hit and run driver needs to be apprehended. Once the driver has been identified you can sue the driver. The driver's insurance company may pay for any settlement or judgment against the driver. You should consult a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. I do not know the reason why your insurance is not paying your medical expenses, but many doctors will provide treatment on a lien basis -- I.e., you won't need to pay the bills until there is a recovery. Your attorney may be able to help you with this. You attorney also may be able to assist in locating the other driver if necessary. Good luck.

This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Mr. LaBore has given you some good advice. He is very knowledgeable in this area of the law. I would consider talking with an attorney who could hire an investigator to possibly f ind the name of the. Semi-truck company.


The semi would have had to go through a weigh station which would have video recordings that would show the damage.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer