Skip to main content

I was stopped by LP for shoplifting. I signed a Civil Liability Law form. Can this form be used as "documentary evidence?"

Northbrook, IL |

I shoplifted. LP questioned me. There was no police involvement. The LP person had me sign a Civil Liability Law form stating under Section 16A-7 of Illinois Criminal Code I may be contacted to pay for civil damages. I signed the sheet, which had my name and Social Security Number on it. After researching, I've found people can be put on a National Retail Theft Database based on these criteria:
•Signed admission statement
•Signed restitution agreement
•Fully satisfied civil demand
•Criminal prosecution resulting in a conviction
•A similar documentary evidence which demonstrates that the theft or dishonesty actually occurred and that the person named in the inquiry is the person who committed the act

Can the document I signed be considered as a form of documentary evidence?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It could be. Do not pay any civil demand. Please read:

There is a law in the state of Illinois which allows for civil action collection when there is a retail theft. Most people choose to ignore the demand. This demand is for money over and above any fine you pay in compliance with a court order. People may get a few more letters, each time asking for more, and then they stop. While the retailer can sue you, it is extremely rare for anyone to actually be sued. You do not owe any money unless you are sued and the retailer wins. This is a common ploy. Do not pay. If you do, you will be in the national retailers database which could affect your ability to get a job and could impact your life in other ways. If you are uncomfortable, hire a lawyer and have the lawyer write a letter. That should be the end of it.

Here is a good article:

The National Retail Theft Database is actually a voluntary list put together by different individual retailers. Further, any member that published the information on the list, can thereafter, remove it. Therefore, if you wish to have the entry removed, as you apparently do, your best bet would be to write a letter to the manager of the particular store and inquire as to what it would take for them to remove the entry.


Don't pay, hire an attorney to write you a letter


The document could be used. Do not honor any civil demand letter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer