Skip to main content

I wanted to know if there's anyway to get a free divorce because i haven't been with my husband since 3 months after marry

Bronx, NY |

We haven't been together and I been contacting about this but I get the run around I just want a divorce no extra perks we been seperated for a long time and haven't lived together for awhile I just want this over with

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 6


You may want to contact legal aid in your area to determine if you qualify based upon your income (please note that there is typically a wait list for their services). While it's not free, we do offer an affordable option. Please visit our website for more information.

Please note that this general response to your inquiry does not establish an attorney-client relationship.You should consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.


You can contact the legal aid society to see if you are eligible. Another option would be to check out the New York State Office of Court Administration website and try to process the action without a lawyer's involvement. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


The short answer is that all lawyers charge for their services, so if you wish to hire a lawyer for the divorce, the answer is probably not for free. You may qualify for "poor person relief," which generally waives the court fees. I thus encourage you to go to the Office of the Self-Represented within Bronx Supreme Court to inquire what assistance you can receive. If you are nevertheless looking to consult a lawyer for free, I encourage you to call a Bronx Co. Divorce lawyer to schedule an appointment.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


If you qualify for legal aid and wait until your name reaches the top of the list, then you may get a free divorce. Otherwise reach out to a reasonably priced divorce lawyer in your area. Court filing fees in the NYC area are $335 plus whatever the attorney charges. If your wife agrees to sign the paperwork and there are no assets to divide, then it is a simple and inexpensive matter.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


I agree with Attorney Bliven, go to the Office of the Self-Represented within Bronx Supreme Court and have patience. If you want to avoid the "run around" you'll probably have to pay for a professional to assist you. That said, if there are no children or property involved, the help of a professional should not be very expensive. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


Nothing is for free. Attorneys will require payment for their services and court will require filing fees. You can use the followint site to attempt to get it done on your own:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer