Skip to main content

I wanted to get a legal separation . I do not want to get a divorce . I don't want to sign these divorce papers .

Los Angeles, CA |

My husband just informed me that he just signed a one yr lease he took $ 600 . 00 from me to do this . . Can he do this ? Can I get him for abandonment in Calif ? He wants me to sign papers that I do not understand ? Is there anyone out there that I can fax these papers to ? Just to tell me if I will get nothing or if I'm being taken advantage of ? There aren't any children involved , He also is the bread winner . we have been married for 4 yrs . I do not want to sign these papers . I do not want this divorce . what can I do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Don't sign anything. Call around and get yourself a consultation with an experienced family law attorney ASAP. Have the attorney review anything before you sign it.

Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.


It's not clear what it is you are being asked to sign. California is a no-fault state. He does not need your consent or agreement to get a divorce. He may be asking you to sign the Acknowledgement of Receipt of the divorce papers. Signing that document just means you are acknowledging that you received the documents; it does not mean you agree or that you are committing to anything. You say you don't want the divorce, but what it sounds like is that you're fine with a divorce or separation as long as you receive some kind of financial support. You are welcome to fax the documents to my office. I can look them over for you and clarify for you what it is that has been served. I offer a free initial consultation. My fax is (888) 411-9036.


I agree with my colleague. Do mot sign anything.


You might want to consider calling an attorney willing to provide you with a free consultation. Also, if looking on the internet, there are attorneys who provide legal coaching services for individuals who can't afford to hire an attorney to r epresent them. In such cases, there is no need to limit your search to your area--as any attorney in California who provides coaching services can assist you.

It sounds like you are confused and need someone willing to listen and put you in the right direction.

Good luck!

PLEASE READ--before emailing, commenting or calling: As a rule, I do not respond to "comments" that are designed as follow-up questions to the originally-posted question. I specifically do this as to avoid creating any confusion to the originating author of the question and to prevent any attorney-client relationship from forming--as this is not the goal or intent of this attorney or the Avvo creators. Further, I am only licensed to practice law in the State of California; therefore, any information provided in this answer is intended for application in California. Second, the information provided in this answer is solely intended to serve as GENERAL INFORMATION, and, at most, to serve as a catalyst for discussion between you and an attorney. Under no circumstance, is this information provided in this "Answer" intended to be construed as legal advice--and is not to be considered legal advice for any purpose. If you wish legal advice, then it is recommended that you contact a licensed attorney in your area to discuss the particulars of your case. Only by engaging in a meaningful discussion with a licensed attorney, can an attorney then provide you with legal advice.