Skip to main content

I want to terminate a independent contractor employment. We are in California.

Murrieta, CA |

This person is creating a hostel work environment
I fear continued employment could lead to a sexual harassment lawsuit do to her behavior. How should I proceed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Most attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. There are no hourly fees and most attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at


You should proceed cautiously so as not to set yourself up for a lawsuit. Call an employment law attorney to discuss. If you have a written contract with the person you want to terminate the work relationship with, have it ready to discuss. Also, as an employer, you have a legal duty to handle sexual harassment issues appropriately. 949-481-6909.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


I agree with Karila. Even if you have to pay for an appointment to get a consultation with an employment law attorney you may avoid something much more expensive, like a lawsuit.


Take the time to document your reasons for terminating the relationship and substantiating the reasons. Then consult with an attorney to evaluate the risk of termination. You should have witness statements and otherwise taken other steps to document what is going on.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer