Skip to main content

I want to sue my school in florida. But I have signed a binding arbitration with them and cannot take them to court.

Orlando, FL |

I can only get a arbitration hearing . How do I start the arbitration proceeding. Also which state can I have the proceedings at.
And another scenario, (if by miracle ).
Is it possible to get a arbitration decision that would allow me to take my case to a court (if awarded by the arbitrator) and pursue it in court. If such things happen, can the defendant argue that the case can not be taken to court after the arbitration decision?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Most of the questions you ask will be determined by the arbitration agreement. Review the arbitration agreement. It should state the arbitration administrator, the location where the arbitration would be held.

I provide a free 15 minute telephone consult for security deposit claims and eviction defense. No attorney-client relationship is created by answering questions in this public forum. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship, you must contact me directly and sign a representation agreement. Answers are provided based on general ideas and an answer specific to your situation would require a review of all documents.


Not all arbitration agreements are enforceable. You need to consult with an attorney to find out if enforceable, and, if it is, how to begin the process.

Bonnie Riggens
Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
669 1st Ave. N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Phone: 727-898-1401
Fax: 727-823-7351

Business and Contract Law, Noncompete Agreements, Severance Agreements and Negotiations, Defamation law, Discrimination law (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), EEOC investigations and mediations, Family and Medical Leave Act law, Federal & State Employee law, State Licensing law, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment law, Unemployment Compensation law, Unpaid Wages law, USERRA law. Additional representation: Appellate Law, Personal Injury law


You need to look at the provisions of your agreement. If it is "binding" arbitration, you will not be able to ask the arbitrator to take it to court. Make certain you are well prepared and seek the advice of counsel.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. Leonore M. Greller, Esq. is a Supreme Court Certified Civil Circuit and Family Mediator and a Qualified Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediator and Arbitrator.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer