Skip to main content

I want to sue my child's school district in California.

San Diego, CA |

The case would exceed the small claims court maximum of $10,000. So what court would I submit a claim in to sue the school district if the claim amount is over $10,000?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


First, you need to be aware that there is a statute (legal requirement) which requires you to notify any governmental entity, including the school district, of your intent to file a claim. The statute can be a short as 90 days. As far as answering your question, the court that you would file your claim in would be the Superior Court.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at


Consult with an attorney. This case will need to be filed in superior court. Depending on the type of claim, you may also have to follow other procedural rules in order to sue.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


You dont say why you think they are liable. Most claims against a school district require that you serve a Government tort claim notice w/in 6 months of the incident. The notice must contain certain info and the entity will provide you with the blank form they require. It must be served on the proper person at the district. there are complex time procedures involved. if the claim is rejected, expressly or by lack of timely reply, then a lawsuit can be filed in Superior Court. if the tort claim isnt filed on time, then another complex procedure must be followed, ultimately it usually means filing an application in court for leave to file a late claim.

Id suggest you consult with a local atty immediately. These are not easy matters, and not at all like small claims court.


You must provide proper notice, or you could sabotage your good claim. The personal injury lawyers from your state who answered above provide free consultations, so call one of them to discuss in detail.


What are the facts of your case?

View my website & call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


School districts in CA are government entities and therefore there is a statutory time limit by which you will need to submit a claim to that particular entity. In CA, this period is 6 months from the date of the incident. The claim does not involve the court and must be submitted separately. The claim will need to be rejected on unanswered before a lawsuit should be filed. I would advise you to seek a local personal injury attorney in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer