Skip to main content

I want to return my new car

Hiland, WY |

WE bought a new D Max pick up and have had bodywork problems so we took it back and they sorted it by changing the grill door handle. WE still are not happy and want our deposit back and return the vehicle. We purchased it in Sakon nakhon Thailand in march this year.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This is a hard question to answer without more information. It seems that you bought the vehicle in Thailand. Are you still there? It also seems like you have only had one problem. Do the problems still exist, and what do you mean by "bodywork problems"?

In general, with a few exceptions, when you purchase a new vehicle in the United States, the sale is final and your only recourse for returning the vehicle is against the manufacturer if there is a defect that is covered under the manufacturer's warranty that the manufacturer is unable or unwilling to repair, and which substantially impairs the vehicle's use, value, or safety. The number of repair attempts or number of days that the manufacturer has to fix the problems are determined by your state law (typically three to four repairs of the same problem and/or anywhere from twenty to thirty days out of service to repair one or more problems). The particular rights and remedies you may have depend on a lot of factors, like what sort of problems you have had, how long the dealer took to repair them, and whether they were repaired correctly.

This, of course, assumes that you are in the United States. If you are still in Thailand, you will definitely want to contact someone there that is familiar with local warranty laws.

Either way, make sure you keep taking the vehicle back to the dealership for repairs if the problems still exist, and that you keep copies of all of your repair orders to document the repair history.

If you are in the United States you can contact the National Association of Consumer Advocates (, or look here on Avvo for further help with referrals to a local lemon law attorney in your state.

Thanks for your question, and best of luck in getting it resolved.

The attorney responding is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does NOT constitute legal advice and does NOT create an attorney/ client relationship! Rather, the response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue that the questioner has left out and which would make the reply unsuitable. Therefore, the questioner should not base any decision on the answer, but should confer with an attorney in person about the specifics of his or her case.


If the car was purchased in Thailand you'll need an attorney licensed in Thailand to help answer the question.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances.