Skip to main content

I want to remove my ignition interlock device one month before the period is over because I will not be driving. Can I do this?

Eau Claire, WI |

I received an OWI one year ago and have been ordered to have an IID on my car until February 6. The thing is, I am moving to North Carolina and I am not taking my car with me. The car is licensed to my father and I am leaving it with him. I am scheduled to have my car serviced soon, but I do not want to pay for an half month of service that I will not be using. When I contacted my provider about having it removed, they said that I needed to have the device on the car regardless of whether or not I was driving it, and that early removal could result in having my IID period extended. I think that is complete BS and they're just telling me that to get more money out of me, but I'm not sure about the actual letter of the law regarding this type of situation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The order is for a one year IID, so you'll need to have it installed for that period of time or your will not be able to get a non-restricted license. Basically, you'd be required to install an IID for another month once you started driving again and they are not lying to you.


To have a clear license in Wisconsin, you will need to comply with the order. I suspect that NC will not issue you a license until you are clear with Wisconsin.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


I agree with Attorneys House and Kenyon. I would add you could try moving the court to exempt your vehicle from the IID requirement for the relevant time period. If the court allowed you do to this, however, the IID requirement would still be attached to you. In other words, you could not drive a vehicle in WI without an IID, even if your vehicle did not have an IID. If you were caught driving without an IID in WI while the requirement was in place, you could be charged with a crime.

You could not ask the court to shorten the IID requirement itself. The law is mandatory: 1 year. So, the court does not have that discretion.

Even if you got your vehicle exempted, you may have a contract with the IID company requiring the entire year; and the IID company may fight you on that. (I have heard of this happening.)

Frankly, moving the court for a one month IID exemption on your vehicle is likely more trouble than it is worth.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer