Skip to main content

I want to marry my fiance who florida. I live in Texas for my school. Is it okay if I file for my greencard staying in texas

Houston, TX |

He has been in florida but i cannot move there because of my school. We areplanning to get married but I dont to move in untill I am done with my studies. Is it okay if we get married and file for my green card and at the same time he stays in florida while I continue my education here in texas because it is cheaper here.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Technically it is OK. But in practical terms this case will be much harder to get approved and the bona fides and authenticity of your long distance relationship will need to be thoroughly documented.

Hiring a competent immigration attorney to handle the case you is a must.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



So what kind of documens should I be preaparing?

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


That needs to be explained to you during a private consultation at a lawyer's office.


It may be difficult for you to convince the USCIS that your marriage is bona fide unless you live together.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I had cases like that approved, but it is very hard and requires substantial amount of charisma to be able to convince the officer that it is indeed a bona fide marriage and a temporary situation.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer