Skip to main content

I want to marry an illegal immigrant. How could I help him become legal?

Manassas, VA |

He came 12 years ago and did not sign a petition/apply before April 2001. I want to be able to travel with him to his country and be able to move about the our country(planes) legally. We can't fly anywhere due to fear of getting deported. He can't return to his country unless through deportation or dangerously again through Mexico. Are there any options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Go speak with a lawyer in your area to discuss options and strategies.


There are many different questions you need to discuss with an Immigration attorney: did he come through the border as a "waive in" alien, or did he come without any inspection? He stayed here for 10 years: criminal convictions? Will he be willing to enter the removal process voluntarily to get (if he qualifies and is willing to take the risk) cancelation of removal?

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.


It would be best to have an in person or over telephone conusltation with an immigration lawyer on a one on one basis focusing your fiance's situation. Your fiance's entire immigration history needs to be assesed keeping in view his current status and the law. Best Wishes.
Lalita Haran