Skip to main content

I want to make shower some one renting a house to me is legit they moved out the country an is asking me to western union money

Springfield, MA |

they said once i send the money they will send the keys should i trust that? hat documents should i ask for?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

This sounds like a scam (and is a pretty common scam on websites like Craigslist). If you've never seen the house, never met the person renting the house, and the owner moved out of the country without first providing you keys to the house....then it's most likely a scam.

Do NOT send money. You'll likely never get it back.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


DO NOT send monies via western union..... owner should have someone local who can show you property, and provide keys upon payment....

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.


This sounds like a scam. If you cannot meet with your potential landlord in person, do not send money, especially not via Western Union.



is there certian document i should ask for or should just not trust it? also is there away that i can find out if this person is the owner to the house?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


Do not trust this one at all. The person probably does not even own he house. Look elsewhere.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer