I want to know if it is true that a sex offender can not get a K-1 Visa for his girlfriend?

Miami, FL |

My boyfried was convited sex offender.
He wants to married me in his country, United State, but
I want to know What problems could he has in this process.
I am Latin. He lives in Florida.
He has come to my country Two times
but he said to me he is ready for getting married in his country for this he has to ask for K1 Visa.

Please help me.

Thanks!!

There is nothing keeping you all from getting married; however, there will be all kinds of other issues related to him be a sex offender. Housing will be the most significant issue you and he will face. Being a convicted sex offender prevents you from living in many places.

John S. Riordan, Esq., is a partner with Kelley, Kronenberg, Gilmartin, Fichtel, Wander, Bamdas, Eskalyo & Dunbrack running the West Palm Beach Criminal Defense and White Collar Crime Division. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. He can be reached at (561) 886-2620 for a free consultation. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Yes, it's true under the Adam Walsh act. Your petitioner will likely need a waiver and this is something you don't want todo without a lawyer.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

I agree with attorney Tunitsky.

The Adam Walsh Act prevents U.S. citizens convicted of certain sexual related offenses from filing petitions for alien relatives (including fiancee's). There are, however, issues with the constitutionality of its immigration provisions. I suggest you and your boyfriend consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the specifics of his criminal history and advise you as to how it may affect his ability to petition for you in the future.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.