Skip to main content

I want to know if I can still sue the city of SF for a theft of the contents of a u-haul impounded in 2008.

Petaluma, CA |

I was driving a u-haul containing every thing I owned in 2008. I was pulled over for making an illegal left hand turn in SF. Because of my moving and address change, I was unaware my license was suspended 10 days after renting the u-haul and 2 days before I was pulled over.

The u-haul was impounded and I was given a number on a piece of paper to contact within 30 days to recover the vehicle and all my contents. It was locked when impounded.

3 days later, I contacted Auto Return,(the phone number on the paper) and was informed, the u-haul was returned to u-haul, the company with the lock still on.

I contacted u-haul and was informed they picked up the u-haul, it was empty, with the lock on it.
I pursued legal action with SFPD, IE, The DA, Internal affairs, Other police officers,.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, this event is more than 5 years ago. The statute of limitations and claims notice period have both elapsed. But you state that you already pursued legal action on this loss. So, why are you asking about making a claim or bringing suit now?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.