Skip to main content

I want to know if a probation officer. can tell a probationer that he has to live on the streets

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

i have a friend that is on probation. and he is is homeless at the moment because the hotel he was living at told him he had to check out.his probation officer told him to register a homeless. i told him he can stay at my house till he find a place. i dont have any kids or any thing like that. but he told me that his probation told him that he had to sleep on the streets. what can he do can she really do that.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Something doesn't sound right. There must have been a reason your friend was asked to leave the hotel.

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship. Thank You


Any change of residence while on probation should ideally be approved in advance by either the probation officer or the court. Sometimes, special restrictions apply, such as not living with minor children or within a certain distance of a school. If the probation officer is unreasonably withholding permission, your friend should file a motion with the court seeking the court's approval of the proposed residence.


It is unlikely that your friend is correctly understanding or reporting to you the instructions of his p.o. In any event, p.o.'s are not laws unto themselves. Your friend can contact the manager of the local Probation Office and ask for intercession with his assigned p.o. It is highly likely that some clarification and resolution will be forthcoming.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer