Skip to main content

I want to know how to file a lien on a property, i do cleaning services, under verbal agreement, owner paid 1/2 after job done

Lancaster, PA |

i do cleaning services, for realtor, who wants a property ready for the market. i use to do an estimate before the job complete, we do have a verbal agreement, this owner this time send me a check only for the half of the amount after job done. I Want to know what to do. a friend told me i can file a lien on the property until they pay me the rest of the money.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Mechanics' lien claims are filed with the prothonotary of the county where the property is located. Properly filing and enforcing a mechanics' lien claim is a very technical and difficult process. It is advisable to get an attorney to assist you with such an effort.

That said, I'm not sure you'd be entitled to a lien in your situation. Here is an excerpt of the section of the statute that creates the right to a mechanics' lien:

"Every improvement and the estate or title of the owner in the property shall be subject to a lien, to be perfected as herein provided, for the payment of all debts due by the owner to the contractor or by the contractor to any of his subcontractors for labor or materials furnished in the erection or construction, or the alteration or repair of the improvement, provided that the amount of the claim, other than amounts determined by apportionment under section 306(b) of this act, shall exceed five hundred dollars ($500)."

Are your cleaning services accurately characterized as "erection", "construction", "alteration", or "repair"? Are they for over $500?