Skip to main content

I want to invite my father on B2 visa. But my father name is Baljeet Singh on my passport and his name is Baljit Singh.

San Jose, CA |

I wanted to invite my father in US and His name is Baljit Singh on all his documents. But on my passport and certificates it is Baljeet Singh. He has to apply for new passport as his old passport has expired long time back and he will get passport with Baljit Singh name.
Will there be any problem in getting the visa as his name is wrong on my passport?
What is the solution for this?
Or he has to change his name as in my passport and then apply for new passport after changing the name, but on his job records his name is Baljit Singh .
Can he change his name as per my passport and get new passport. But at the time of applying for visa we have to submit his old tax returns which will be with his old name even though his name has been changed.
What is the solution for this problem

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The spelling of his name is extremely similar. He should not have any trouble getting a visa based on variance in spelling. Both names seem like adequate transliterations of the same name.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Your passport is irrelevant. What matters is whether your father can prove to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he will return home.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


When he applies for the visitor visa, ensure he mentions that he goes by both names.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.