Skip to main content

I want to get engaged to my girlfriend who is here on a f-1 visa. If she moves in with me will she still need a sponsor?

Bensalem, PA |

Also, how long until she can get off the f-1 visa and start to work? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You must be married before you can file for her if she is in the US. After marriage, you can apply for her residency and work permit.


After you marry and sponsor for a green card, she will receive a work permit in approximately 90 days.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Just living together and even Marrying her will not do anything for her immigration status. You must marry her and then if you are a US Citizen, petition for a greencard for her and have her apply for adjustment of status at the same time. The process takes about 4-6 months and requires slot of evidence that the relationship is genuine. U.S. immigration law can be complicated. Consult with an immigration attorney.

Andre Olivie
Immigration Attorney
Call anytime at 206-724-1940

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.