Skip to main content

I want to get a divorce but my wife lives in another state and i dont know where she is its been over ten years

Mount Vernon, OH |

how can i divorce her

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Ohio requires that only one of the spouses reside in the State of Ohio for six months and the county in which the divorce complaint is filed for at least 90 days prior to filing. Assuming you meet those requirements, since you have been living separate and apart for more than one year, you can file for divorce at any time. You will, however, need to serve her with notice of the divorce. You should speak with a domestic relations attorney in your area about your situation. If you are able to locate a current address, an attorney can have her served by certified mail. If you do not have a good address, there are methods to provide notice by publication and in some courts by other means. In either event, an attorney should be able to get the service issues resolved fairly quickly and get you divorced so that you can move on with your life. Use Avvo's Find a Lawyer tool to locate a divorce attorney in your area. Schedule a consultation and discuss these issues with the them. Best wishes.


Absolutely! I can help you with this process. Do not hesitate to contact me to learn more.

The advice given is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship; nor does it supersede any specific advice given to you from an attorney you consult directly in your local area.


Some Courts will require you to attempt to locate her before publication, using web searches and social media. Here's an easy way. Find an old tax return or something with her social security number and birthdate, and have a credit check performed on her. Otherwise, you can file--and then publish. Good Luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer