Skip to main content

I want to divorce my wife, we have been married for less then 2yrs, I have my conditional green card (valid for 2yrs)?

Franklin Square, NY |

The lawyers I met want to charge me an arm and leg, and most of them only deal with the divorce or immigration situation so I'd need to get 2 lawyers?????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Yes, unless you know what the requirements and procedures for divorce and waiving the requirement for the joint petition to remove conditions on your card are.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You can retain separate lawyers to represent you in each case. One for divorce and one for immigration. Some lawyers handle both types of cases.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Not sure what your question is. Most immigration attorneys do not also do immigration law and visa versa


If you get a divorce, it will negatively impact your green card, when you file to remove conditions- this will increase the costs quite a bit.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


You will need two lawyers. The best lawyers only deal with one type of law.


I'll charge you an arm and a leg, and have you lop off your left ear for good measure.

Pay good money for a good lawyer, or go with a "cheap" lawyer and take your chances with your future.

Good luck.

FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AVAILABLE. Phone (646) 663-5902. Offices in Queens and Manhattan. Website located at Our responses on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship. Our responses on this website are for educational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Immigration and nationality law is a complex area of law which requires careful review of a person's particular circumstances. Do not rely on any answers provided on this site to make a decision on your case. For proper legal advice, you may contact us for a free initial consultation.


No. You do not need 2 lawyers. You need one lawyer with experience in both areas. It may not be easy to find. While I have not been in the immigration court in many years , I have won asylum and had other successes in immigration area and also represent people in divorce cases. You need to meet with lawyers and find someone you can trust, afford and that has experience handling your issues.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer