Skip to main content

I want to bring my girlfriend and our baby from overseas. How can I petition for my girlfriend, her son and our baby.

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a U.S. citizen. We want to get married, what would be the best way? To file for a fiance visa or get married overthere? How should I file for my baby, can I register her with the embassy and request a passport since my name is on the birth certificate and file a petition for my fiance and her son or do I have to file for all three at the same time.

Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Check out this article i wrote on the subject
You son is likely a citizen, and you can petition for your girlfriend as a fiance or spouse

If you "like" this answer, please visit our website

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


You could go there and get married and the file an immigrant petition on her behalf OR file for a fiancee visa and wait for her to come here to get married and then adjust her status. I personally advise my clients to get married, if possible, and start the immigrant petition right away (instead of the fiancee visa).
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


Assuming you meet the requirements, you child may be a US citizen. You have two options when dealing with your girlfriend. However, since you may have to travel to register your child with the US embassy, you probably should get married once you are there and begin the process for your future wife. Good luck.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. Your son is possibly a US citizen already.

Curtis Pierce
213 327 0044

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer