Skip to main content

I want to apply to the dream act and currently receiving food stamps for my two children. will this affect me?

Fresno, CA |

Married to a U.s citizen, mother of 2.
Or would things be better if my husband applies for my residency.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The "Dream Act" is not law. You are probably referring to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). You should consider filing for DACA, and also having your husband file an I-130 for you. You might be eligible for the new provisional waiver, I-601A. I strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney near you, to explore all of your options and to take steps to obtain the best immigration benefits you are able to receive. Good luck.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


There is no dream act. If you are referring to DACA, it does not provide you with status or permanent residency.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes you can do both. DACA (closest thing we have to the dream act) only gives you 2 years of legal protection. A green card through your husband is permanent, however this process will cost more.

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: 650-279-5933

The response given is general in nature and does not create an attorney / client relationship. The answer given may also not account for other facts unknown to the attorney. For a more detailed evaluation you should consult with a licensed immigration attorney.