Skip to main content

I want to apply for an E2 Visa by investing in a franchise in the Houston, TX area. I would like to know about the process.

Katy, TX |

Is it better to invest in a new store or to buy an existing one? How long does it take? Can I apply while being in the US on a B1/B2 visa (visiting, not working)? How much do I have to invest? Will I be able to qualify for a Green Card? if so, when?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

An E-2 visa can be accomplished by purchasing an existing business or forming a new one. The processing itself can be done within 15 days through premium processing or range from 2-4 months through regular processing. The rest of your questions would best be answered by consulting an immigration attorney.

Best of luck.

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Dallas, TX


I would urge you to consult with and hire an immigration lawyer to assist you with this case. Not because I think you’re not capable of handling it, you may will be, but in order for the lawyer to debrief and brief you, analyze, assess and evaluate your case in order to maximize the possibilities for a successful result.
You may be eligible for E-2 visa if you're from a treaty eligible country, an imimigrant investor visa: ($500k) or ($1M) and 10 US employees.


An E-2 visa does not provide an avenue to a green card.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues that you should consult an experienced Immigration attorney to assist you with this question. However, if you decide to invest in a franchise, you should consult with expert franchise counsel to help you evaluate the franchise opportunity.

Good luck

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to provide legal advice for your specific situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer