Skip to main content

I want my charity to exist as an unregistered organization. How do I go about setting that up?

Danbury, CT |

I am currently in the process of setting up a charity that sends aide, and relief supplies to poor children back in my hometown in Haiti. Since it is a religious organization, and because of my beliefs, I do not wish to file for 501(c)3 status. I want to exist as an unregistered "non-profit" organization. Is there such a thing? How do I get around the whole registering with the government thing so they dont meddle in my affairs and limit my rights to practice my religious charitable duties? Though the charity is not linked to any churches, we do also preach the gospel to the children. Thank you for your time.

+ Read More

Filed under: Business
Attorney answers 2


What you propose is illegal . Don't risk your fine idea by doing it the wrong way.

Hire a lawyer, creat a business plan for your charity, and do the necessary set up, filings, annual reports and due diligence.


You may be able to accomplish your goals of confidentiality, while still setting up the proper entity. Contact an attorney to discuss this issue as more detail is needed.

You should retain an attorney to address this issue. The above answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. I have provided this answer only based on the information presented in the question. The specific actions or answers to this issue require additional information. The above information and answering this question does not constitute an attorney-client privilege. I am not responsible for any issues, problems or losses from any reliance on this answer and information, and the consequences of such reliance.