Skip to main content

I want my 24 old brother to visit me and stay with me. Can I apply for his green card. I'm US citizen.

Cambridge, MA |

My brother will apply for the visit visa from Pakistan, and I like to know if I can submit his green card papers, he can stay in USA during that period and how long will it take him to get his green card.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Please seek guidance of an experienced immigration attorney. You would be glad that you did. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174


Unfortunately your brother cannot stay here while waiting for his green card unless he has some visa status. The process will take atleast 10 years to sponsor a sibling.


As a US Citizen you can apply for your brother's green card. The process takes about 12 years and he CANNOT stay in the US while he waits. The long wait is because there is a limit of 65,000 sibling green cards per year but there are so many people petitioning their siblings that there are about 700,000 people waiting for a green card, making the wait 10+ years. Hope that helps and good luck.

Massachusetts Immigration Attorney
508 455 4241


You can file a visa petition. It will be many years before it is available.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.