Skip to main content

I wanna marry my american boyfriend and im an au pair??

Saint Paul, MN |

im an au pair here in the us for 1 year and 4 months...i have to leave in 2 monhts because my j1 visa expires....i fell in love with my boyfriend who is american and we want to get married so that we can stay can we do it??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can marry your boyfriend who is a US citizen and obtain a green card on that baisis. He will have to file form I-130 on your behalf and you will have to file form I-485. However, because you are currently on a J-1 visa, you will need to contact an attorney in order to make sure that you are not subject to the 2 year foreign residency requirement. If you are you will need to obain a waiver.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer