Skip to main content

I've signed a subpoenaed to testify at my boyfriend's parole hearing and I don't want to.

Houston, TX |

My subpoena is a personal attendance of witness, Parole did not ask me to show up but I went personally to my husbands parole officer office to do it. Now hes parole hearing is getting closer and I don't want to show up will it affect me or him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you fail to appear in response to a subpoena, you could be arrested.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


It's not a good idea to ignore a subpoena. You may want to talk to an attorney in your area to see if you can get the subpoena quashed.

As for the other person you're concerned about, it depends on what you were going to say. If he doesn't have the benefit of your positive testimony, that could hurt his parole chances. On the other hand, if you were going to say "don't release him," obviously his chances of getting out are better without that negative testimony.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: No attorney client privilege is established by receiving an answer to your question on Avvo. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to visit my Avvo profile or website -- -- to set up an appointment to talk more about your issue. As required by Rule 7.2(e), Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct, no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.


While I am not a TX lawyer, I have done several parole hearings. If you believe your testimony is going to hurt his chances of parole, you should speak to a local attorney about quashing the subpoena.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.