Skip to main content

I've hired a lawyer and he has done nothing to defend me, (he's been paid half of the rather large fee)

Gordonville, PA |

Trial is a month away and I was told during the preliminary that a plea agreement was reached. This plea doesn't come close to the truth and it's certainly not fair. I wasn't present when they came up with it. I told him I'd rather go to trial, and so far I made two appointments to see him, and he couldn't keep either.. I reschedule the one but I am seriously getting worried since there's been a few red flags telling me that this man does not have my interest at heart. I'm running out of time and I need to know if I can hire someone else and if so, how do I go about it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are free to be represented by counsel of your choice. Having made one choice and now having second thoughts, you are certainly permitted to get substitute counsel. One word of caution. Make the change, if you are going to, as soon as you can possibly identify an appropriate substitute. Courts are very accommodating of such things unless it happens on the eve of trial. You might first address, if you can get the opportunity, to discuss honestly with current counsel your concerns. If such a meeting occurs and you remain unsatisfied, then tell him you intend to interview possible replacements.


Mr. Jones's advice is correct, you have a right to change attorneys, but should do it soon and have a heart-to-heart "debriefing" with attorney #1.

Couple additional thoughts: it it almost universal for the defendant NOT to be present at the conferences in chambers where the DA, Judge and your attorney discuss possible plea bargains, so this is not a ground of complaint or suspicion.

Second thought: ask your lawyer why HE thinks the plea bargain is fair. This is a comparison of the conviction of the charges you would agree to and the sentence to the MAXIMUM charges and sentence you could POSSIBLY be charged with, considering your PRIORS, if any, and whether you would be a good witness or could testify at a trial (convictions and prior bad acts -- things you may have been charged with but not been convicted of, juvenile charges, etc.) could be used to impugn your credibility.

As to "truth", consider that (1) most juries will think you did it if you were arrested and charged for the crime unless you have a very compelling defense, and (2) what other defenses or alibis you could raise (a bad search leading to evidence that could be suppressed, evidence establishing that you were not at the crime scene, good witnesses to testify on your behalf on these things).

The "truth" doesn't matter at a criminal trial, it's usually circumstantial evidence and perceptions of jurors. In other words, the plea bargain offered may be better than you think or what is likely to happen at a trial. Speak candidly to you lawyer about this, or you may find yourself faced with the same dilemma with the next lawyer too.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.




You can always hire a new attorney, if you are not happy with your representation. A client has that right. Your new attorney should be able to push the trial date out, so that he can get more familiar with the case. Good Luck!

Michael Kotik, Esq.
Two Penn Center (Philadelphia)
1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220
Philadelphia, PA 19102
267-265-4553 (Direct 24/7 Line) (Direct Email)

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102