Skip to main content

I've heard that there is a 60 day voluntary move-out, is it better than a 60-day eviction notice? I'm not sure which is best.

Fairfield, CA |

I want to someone to move out of a property I rent in Solano County, CA

Should an eviction be a last resort or should I attempt voluntary move-out first?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A voluntary move out is always better than an eviction notice. Regardless of whether you are the landlord or the tenant, a voluntary move out is going to be easier, faster and less expensive than an unlawful detainer lawsuit.


An eviction should be the last resort.


I am not aware of any "voluntary move out" notice in CA. If you want them out as a no fault eviction you must give them either a 30 or 60 day notice. Thirty days if they lived in the property less than one year and 60 if they lived there a year or longer.

However, if you can get them just to leave on their own, that will save you time, money, and stress.

James V. Sansone, Esq.
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Law Offices of James V. Sansone
1400 N Dutton Ave, Ste. 21
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
t: (707) 542-5611
f: (707) 545-1522

Unless you have previously retained the services of The Law Offices of James V Sansone, no Attorney-Client relationship exists between you and The Law Offices of James V Sansone or Attorney James Sansone by the mere receipt of this transmission, including any attachments.

The information you obtain in this response to your AVVO question is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.