Skip to main content

I've got charge with poss. of marijuana misdemeanor less than an oz. do I need a lawyer in court to be with me...

Marietta, GA |

this is my first time with a weed charge.. and can I get my record sealed for that charge and can I do it wit out an lawyer

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes you do need a lawyer. We offer free telephone consultation.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
Decatur, Ga. 30033


Yes you need a lawyer. Yes it is possible to get the case dismissed and "restricted" from your criminal history.


If you decide to go without an attorney, be careful as a plea to this charge can not only remain permanently on your record, but can also suspend your driving privileges. I suggest you contact an attorney, at least for a free consultation.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.


Yes you need a lawyer. If it is in Cobb, you may be able to avoid the restriction issue altogether with a pre-trial diversion. The diversion program requires a lawyer.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.


You may have two options available for resolving this charge without getting convicted. Moreover, you also may be able to get your criminal history restricted so that this charge does not appear on a background check. However, you cannot do this without a lawyer. One of the options is not even available to you without counsel to get you into the program. Neither of these option will be offered to you by the State unless you (through your lawyer) ask for it. Therefore, you will need an attorney to help with these charges unless you want to ensure that a conviction for this crime shows up on your record.

Allen R. Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399