Skip to main content

I've been paid below min. wage, but still awaiting a ruling from Dept. of Labor. How long can I wait for my options?

Cary, IL |

In June 2011 I gave my former employer my resignation. At the time he was paying me $8.00, which was $0.25 below min. wage. I am owed over $200 in wages because of this, however IDOL and US DOL need to make a decision on my employment status, whether I was a contractor or an employee. All signs point to employee, but I haven't received any notice so far. I filed with IDOL in August 2011. What options do I have and how much time to I have to act?

(On my employment status, I was required to work scheduled hours on site, and all my work was to be performed during those hours. He labeled me as a "contracted employee," which has caused this delay.)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Try writing or calling the department. No attorney is going to take up your case for a $200 discrepancy.


I'm told the Dept of Labor is horribly understaffed because of budgetary constraints. You will have to wait for as long as it takes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer