Skip to main content

I've asked for a gate opener over 2 months ago for access to disabled parking @ apt. No word from owner.

Lakeside, CA |

There are 20 assigned parking spaces (1 per apt) 7 unassigned parking spaces and 1 disabled parking space. I requested an additional remove gate opener when we were notified that a gate was being installed. I have e-mail 4 times and verbally asked twice. I was told that I would receive an addendum, I did but it stated that I had already received 2 controllers. I was then told I could drive to property managers office (20 miles away) and pick it up. I e-mailed them and asked why could they have someone deliver it when they were out here (they are often @ apts) I just spoke with onsite manager and she told me she has openers. I have been having problems with them on other issues also ie termites, noise in plumbing is there any recourse

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A landlord is required to provide reasonable accommodation to tenants with disabilities that meet the definition of "disability" under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, unless providing the reasonable accommodation would be an undue hardship on the property owner. If you required the additional gate opener because of a disability, the landlord is required to interact with you in a timely manner regarding your need.

You may want to send a certified letter (keeping a copy for yourself) with reference to the Fair Employment and Housing Act and see if that gets you any result.

Please see the following resources: *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***


Definitely send a certified letter to the landlord with copies of all your previous attempts to contact them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer