Skip to main content

I took out a used car loan for my daughter in law because she had no credit. I went through my credit union in GA

Naples, FL |

She won't pay the loan 3 months threatening repo, truck was registered to her, I have to pay loan back, but I cant do anything with this truck because it was registered to her? She lost her license for having an accident with no insurance in FL and refuses to pay the car that she had the accident with. What are my rights/responsibilities; under GA law where it was registered. Can I sell it if the loan is in my name and it has not been paid for going on 4 months????

+ Read More

Filed under: Credit Used cars Car loan
Attorney answers 3


Sorry this is happening to you. Tough situation. It's one thing if she will not or cannot pay the loan. It's a whole 'nother thing if she refuses after you pay it all, to give the car to you, not to mention family dynamics. I wish you good luck with it.


You've got a mess on your hands but if you want to know about cars and Georgia law, then you need to talk to Mike Flinn there. You can get his contact info at He knows all things GA when it comes to how the law applies to something with wheels on it.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you


I agree with my colleagues. I would simply add that you cannot sell what you do not own. If you are not listed on the title, then you do not own the vehicle. All you "own" is the debt.

I do not know how you work this out, but your daughter needs to take some responsibility here, in my opinion. She can also help you to make this go away by adding you to the title and then allowing the vehicle to be sold.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!