Skip to main content

I think my lawyer is charging me unfairly, what can I do?

Eden Prairie, MN |

I was charged $ 500 for my attorney to come to court with me . ( However , I asked him to file a formal motion , which he never did ) He tried " shushing " me when I asked the judge why we couldn't proceed with our case and she told me that it was because my lawyer never filed a formal motion , she said she was actually confused why we even showed up and had she reviewed our case before that morning she would have called us and told us not to come in . Which my lawyer obviously didn't want me to hear . So why am I getting charged $ 500 for him to get ready for court , he didn't do what I had even asked ? I also don't want my bill to go into collections , should I put the money in an escrow account while I am looking into everything , I am not paying for services that didn't meet my expectations .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2



The first thing I would suggest is trying to sit down with your lawyer to find out what is going on, and why you are being charged for various services. I would note, this can often vary from the type of service being provided. A criminal case, for example, is very different from a contract dispute.

If meeting with your attorney doesn't satisfy you, you can always seek help from a local Bar Association like Mr. Cobb indicated.

Finally, you can always look for other counsel to take over your case.

For a free consultation, call 612-217-0077. This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this information as legal advice, as each case is unique. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact us at your earliest convenience.