Skip to main content

I think I have a case against my LL for trespass:, invasion of privacy , breach of implied covenant of quiet enjoyment & distres

South San Francisco, CA |

I think but don't know if I have the correct documentation/pictures/video to prove trespass:, invasion of privacy , breach of implied covenant of quiet enjoyment , intentional infliction of emotional distress.
I cannot afford a lawyer but isn't that something she would be ordered to pay if I win?? and how much do I sue for??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


In my state, most of those would be really, really hard to prove or probably don't mean what you think, and even harder to show economic loss. Showing breach of quiet enjoyment would most likely just let you get out of your lease early. That said, out here some of those claims, if valid, might have attorney's fees provisions, in which case a landlord/tenant lawyer who believes your case is strong enough and that your landlord has money to go after would consider taking it with nothing up front (or maybe just filing fees). Most landlord/tenant lawyers will offer free initial consultations and review your documentation in person.

I'm a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer unless we sign an agreement. While my practice involves a wide array of national and international issues, I am licensed only in Louisiana- where the legal system can be unique. The brief informational response provided here is not a substitute for legal advice, and you may need to act promptly to preserve your rights.


In my state, MAYBE grounds to terminate the lease. No big fat check though.

You have no apparent damages.

Attorney fees? MAYBE courts discretion.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


It depends on your actual damages. Torts like trespass have a nominal award of damages in the amount of $1.00, unless you can prove actual damages. There are other issues, too, like punitive damages. Some personal injury/ tort attorneys take these cases on a contingency fee basis, which means their fee comes out of your settlement or judgment. Whether or not they can recover your attorney's fees depends on the legal theories presented and any written contract with your landlord.

DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice. Transmission or receipt of any information from this, or any, website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. The application of law is dependent on the facts of each case, and no two cases are ever similar. It is important that users of this site realize that it is risky to assume that their case is identical to someone else's, without consulting with an attorney.



I have written her over and over about 24 hr notice and she still comes onto the property sometimes with contractors and doesn't give me schedule of when work will start stop I have even came home at lunch to find some of my stuff from the garage in a debris pile with 2 contractors that don't speak english trying to tell me they are cleaning out the garage that her and I share...I guess she didn't bother to tell them 1/2 is mine..she does this kind of thing all the time...I have video, vm, letters and she has retaliated with rent increases ...she has even put my safety on the line...


Not being able to get an attorney is not your biggest problem. You can always represent yourself. In short, you are likely to recover nothing from your landlord because you will have a hard time substantiating your damages claim. What is the amount of money you have lost as a result of your landlord's trespass? How have you been damaged as a result your invasion of privacy? In order to recover for intentional infliction of emotion distress you would have to show that your emotional distress resulted in medical intervention (i.e., prescription drugs, seeing a medical professional, etc.) If I was you, I would send the landlord written notice to stop entering your property without proper notice of entry. All future unauthorized and unnoticed entries should be documented for proof if needed in the future. If the conduct continues, I would consult with an attorney, and hopefully you have a written agreement that has an attorney’s fees provision. Good luck!!!