Skip to main content

I think I am going to be served by a process server..

Schenectady, NY |

Someone filled me in that I am going to be "sued"
I don't have a "permanent address" so I am about to leave my area for another one. and hide out.. How long can I hide out in an area several hundred miles away before this expires and then I can come back..

If I cannot be served and I am not in my area to see it, then they have no grounds for me to go to answer for it..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can be served by the papers being given to a person of suitable age and discretion at your actual dwelling place or office. Avoiding service might not be a good idea. If the process server can't serve you the plaintifff can make an ex-parte motion for permission to serve you by alternative means such as publication in a newspaper. When you fail to answer (because you didn't see it in the paper), the plaintiff then can seek a default judgment against you. Perhaps it is better ot face the lawsuit.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Eventually, the Plaintiff couldl get a judgment against you if there is a case to be had. No point in hiding out, it will only delay, by a matter of weeks, the process.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


Answer depends on when the statute of limitation will expire. If it does not run for a while, them as the other responders answered you are running the risk of losing by not knowing about the case. If the statute is about expire, then your strategy may make sense. See a local lawyer to help you evaluate your best option.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or