I founded an LLC when I was in J-2 status. My parents received green cards, but I didn't benefit from this and so had to change status from J-2 to F-1. I started developing my business, but I found out that F-1s have to file for a CPT/OPT and generally can't be "self-employed."
I have a SSN, I've lived in USA for more than 10 years, so I'm not like most F-1s. I'm wondering if my F-1 status is preventing me from working for my own company.
My questions are:
1) How can I legally work for my company?
2) Can I work for a foreign company?
3) What are ways I can earn money? F-1s can earn passive income, I believe. What are the limits to this?
4) Can I hire someone else to run my company and earn through profit sharing?
5) If I do #4, do I have to defer my income until I get my GC?