I sold a used motor online.The buyer claims the motor has a rod knocking and is now returning it.Do I have to accept it legally?

Cullman, AL |

Buyer ran an ad online looking for a porsche 911 motor.He lives in California.I live in Alabama and happened to have a correct motor pulled out of a used car and sold it to him.He contacted me claiming the motor is knocking and started a dispute case with pay-pal on this transaction.Now he has shipped it back to me without calling or emailing me and the motor should arrive sometime today.Do I legally have to accept/sign for this motor? It was sold to me as running,but I never ran it and told this to the buyer via emails before the purchase.

Filed under: Used cars

I can't speak to the issue of how PayPal will handle it, but I certainly would not accept delivery. This was a used part, presumably sold "as is". Unless there was a misrepresentation on your part, I doubt that he has a right to rescind the agreement. Again however, I don't know how paypal will handle it.

Thank You very much.Paypal reimbursed the buyer's credit card company and the money stays on hold untill the dispute is over.Paypal's system would not accept the file types that my emails were in and I couldn't figure out how to change to thier formats,so all my email evidence was never accepted even when I attached all the emails to an email to paypal.I still have every email and plan to not accept the motor back.I did not state in my emails that the deal was "as-is",I assumed that part,but also expected the motor to have the carbs rebuilt,add an exhaust and tune up and run just fine.Thank You very much.

Update:Paypal said I have to accept it or lose the motor and my 2 grand.And the guy sent it back with a bill on shipping of 1300.00 to be paid by myself.I contacted shipping co. and got them down to 330.26.Paypal did finally give me an email address to send all my emails between buyer and I and they claim I can still fight this through them.We will see..I'm hoping to have a suit on the buyer and possibly paypal.Thank You for any info. you can think of on this.Motor is supposed to arrive on monday.