Skip to main content

I signed a birth certificate in R.I. of a child that is not mine almost ten yrs ago. The mom is taking me to court for support.

Fall River, MA |

How can I beat this case and not pay support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you signed the birth certificate in RI, please consider posting this question in the RI forum. An attorney familiar with RI paternity and family law will be better suited to guide you. Best of luck to you.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.


You may be out of luck. Get a lawyer.

Sent from Henry Lebensbaum Esq.  978-749-3606 -- 4G LTE DROID
>---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( ) ----------------------------------------

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


If the mother is bringing you to court in Rhode Island, you should seek the advice of a Rhode Island attorney as the laws are different in each state. Good luck!

This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Is she taking you to court in Massachusetts? If so, you may be able to move for a paternity test, to prove that you are not the biological father. Have you been involved in this child's life?
In Massachusetts, for children born "out-of wedlock", the mom may be able to get retroactive child support. This may be a very substantial amount. I recommend that you hire an attorney licensed to practice in the state that you are required to appear.

This response is not intended, nor does it constitute an attorney client relationship. The answer given shall not be relied upon as legal guidance. You should retain counsel for legal representation, to provide you a more detailed and accurate answer to your question.