Skip to main content

I share joint custody with my sons father... and I would like my sons peditrician to do an adhd evaluation... can I do that?

Santa Clara, CA |

Is this following the rules of shared legal custody? I dont want to end up in court for not following the "50/50" legal custody split order.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


While technically with both of you having legal custody each can act independently of the other, I would suggest that you get father's input first. If you cannot agree, then you could go to the court to get an order allowing it to happen. These days many doctors will not act without the permission of both parents or a court order. Even though technically you COULD act without his input, your relationship will probably be better if you check in first. You wouldn't want him doing the same thing on other issues without checking with you.

Robin M. Estes
Law Offices of Robin M. Estes
3510 Unocal Place, Suite 200
Santa Rosa, CA 95403

Unless you have previously retained the services of The Law Offices of Robin M.Estes, no Attorney-Client relationship exists between you and The Law Offices of Robin M. Estes or Attorney Robin Estes by the mere receipt of this transmission, including any attachments.

The information you obtain in this response to your AVVO question is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Thank you.


I wholeheartedly agree with Ms. Estes advice. Try working this out with the father first. If that fails you may have to consider going to court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer