I served a "Request for Statement of Witnesses and evidence against the Plaintiff in a cival case.

Palm Springs, CA |

I am in Pro Se in a civil case as the cross-complaintant. I have mailed a "Request for Statement of witnesses and evidence" from the plaintiff. By California law he has 20 days to comply. If he does not, What is my next step? A default?

acquisitionsUSA@aol.com

Richard

You should serve interrogatories and document requests.

If the cross-defendant does not repsond, or does not repsond properly, you can make a motion to compel.

I would strongly urge you to consult immediately with a litigator skilled in this area of the law.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS RESPONSE SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A LEGAL OPINION OR ADVISE, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. IN ORDER TO RENDER A LEGAL OPINION OR ADVISE, THE RESPONDING ATTORNEY WOULD NEED FAR MORE INFORMATION THAN HAS BEEN PROVIDED, AND WOULD NEED TO BE RETAINED PURSUANT TO A WRITTEN FEE AGREEMENT.

That document is only to be used in a limited civil case, and only just before trial. he cannot introduce any evidence, or non-party witnesses that are not listed in his response. If you sent it to early or too late he does not have to respond.