Skip to main content

I resigned, Do I still have case?

Bedford Park, IL |

Hi I gave a months notice at my job that I was resigning because of relocation with my spouse. My boss has created a hostile work environment for me. Especially as the resignation date came near. He verbally assaulted me the day before I resigned. I made a complaint to HR the same day. The complaint is still open and its been about 2 weeks and no clear answer from them. Do I have a case? Any information will help


+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You still have a case, although you may not recover much in the way of damages. Hostile work environment discrimination cases are generally first filed with the Illinois Department of Human Rights, although county and local laws may also be violated. If you work for state or local government, you should go to the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.


While there is a remote chance that you have a case, the verbal assault one day before you left your old job will probably not result in sufficient relief for you to pursue anything. You have moved on. The fact that your boss yelled at you the day before you left does not really rise to the level of a lawsuit. You would be wasting your time and possibly your money.


I agree with attorneys Durr and Goldstein.


What are your damages? Ya gotta have damages.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.