Skip to main content

I recieved a speeding ticket in Nassau County, Long Island. I got a 74 in a 55 what will the fines be for this & how many points

Babylon, NY |

how much money will they charge me in fines for doing 74 mph in a 55 mph and how many points will be added to my license

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


$385.00 in fines and surcharges, plus your insurance will increase $750.00 a year for 3 years. Or, you can retain a law firm like mine go to court for you so that you do not lose time from work and give a money back guarantee to reduce the point so that your insurance does not increase.


I handle 10 to 20 tickets a month in this court so am very familiar with its practices. If you plead guilty, the fine will be roughly $300. Your insurance may be increased but it also may not. I recommend that you plead not guilty and fight this ticket. If you do, you or your traffic lawyer can most likely negotiate this down to a less serious charge (less or no points and less likely to impact your insurance rates).

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.


19 miles over is a lot. I suggest you retain a local traffic court lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I generally agree with the previous answers but the outcome of this matter is highly dependent on what court the ticket is returnable in. To answer your question if you were to plead guilty "to the charge" you could expect 4 DMV points and approx. $300-$385 in fines and surcharges. there may be an additional DMV charge depending on your driving record. I do appear in the Nassau County traffic court in Hempstead multiple times per week and if this ticket is returnable there and your driving record is fairly clean you can expect a reduction to the charge with a corresponding reduction in points and fines. If the ticket is returnable in one of the local village courts it is difficult to predict the outcome with the information provided. You can call my office for free telephone consultation. I can appear for you (no need for you to appear and miss work or school) and I often get these types of tickets reduced to a "non speeding offense" which result in fewer or in some cases no dmv points and lower fines.


Hire a lawyer so that she/he can negotiate the fine on your behalf.