Skip to main content

I recieved a letter to go back to court for a DUI

East Brunswick, NJ |

I reside in the state of new york and was found guilty for a DUI in new jersey. I was told that I must complete the program in my NY license was also revoked and restored, I also managed to obtain a CDL. I attended the ddp program and was told I must go to a drug and alcohol couseling. Having already done 20 months of inpatient and outpatient couseling, I refused to go to another one. Now almost 2 1/2 years later I am being summoned back to court. I have read in some sites that a mandatory 2 day jail sentenced will be Imposed for non compliance. I am very worried as I have changed my ways and now have a family. My question to you is will the judge send me to jail? I thought being that ny restored my license, as long as I didn't drive in nj I would be ok.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It sounds to me like you have worked very hard to get where you are. You do not want to see all that hard work undone because you failed to comply with the IDRC (Intoxicated Driver Resource Center) requirements. Although you have gummed up the works a bit, the right attorney may be able to convince the Court to allow you an additional opportunity to comply with IDRC to avoid jail and an additional suspension of your driving privilege.


Whenever there is a possibility that you can be serving jail time it is best to consult with an attorney. You will want to talk to a DUI attorney that practices in that court. Many times an attorney will be able to get a judge to waive jail time. It is always best to follow all of the judge’s orders as they have the ability to put you in jail.
Robert Driessen


If you fail to show up, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. If you get stopped in NY, they will check your license for warrants, and arrest you when they see it. They will then contact NJ to see if they want to extradite you. If NJ does, then you will be transferred to the muncipality and bail will be set. You will the have to appear for an order to show cause. The judge may order you to jail. In any event you will have to complete the IDRC program.

You may be able to have the IDRC program transferred to NY.