Skip to main content

I recently moved from Colorado to North Carolina for work and will miss a contempt hearing. What should I do?

Wilmington, NC |

I have a court appointed attorney, however she is saying that I could be required to appear in person for this final contempt hearing. The contempt matter has been solved, this hearing is only concerning the other party's attorney's fees. I am current in all my support payments and as far as I know am in good standing with the court, so can I really be required to travel across the country for a 20 minute hearing about lawyers fees?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you fail to appear for a contempt hearing, you could be held in contempt. You should discuss this with your lawyer. It might be possible to work out a payment plan regarding the attorney's fees that would enable you to stay here and avoid the cost and lost wages to return. That might well be your most cost-effective option. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: W. Lee Allen, III is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response is only intended to provide general information and there may be other facts relevant to the issue which were not disclosed by the questioner and which would affect the answer. For specific legal guidance, the questioner should confer with an attorney about the specifics of his or her matter.