Skip to main content

I recently filed an adult name change request, and I filed the wrong name. What are my options now?

Tampa, FL |

I recently filed an adult name change request packet. I had purchased two sets of forms while I was deciding between two different names, and I accidentally filed the wrong set of forms. There is no court date yet; what are my options? If I don't want to have to refile and repay, will I still be able to change my request to the desired name even though it is different from the one I filed? If it is allowed, would I change my request at the courthouse, or wait until I am before the judge? If it is not allowed, will I be able to withdraw the request for a refund?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You don't have to revile and repay. Just file an amended petition for name change, which is free to file under the same case number, and use the correct nme in the amended petition.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!


All you have to do is amend your documents.


Amend the petition.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer