Skip to main content

I received a ticket(Municipal Citation) for retail theft. This is first incident. Will it be on my records after I pay penalty?

Appleton, WI |

I was caught shop lifiting at a local grocery store in Grand Chute County, Wisconsin. Police was contacted and they issued me and my wife a Municipal Citation. The citation was issued at the store. the ticket states the violation as "Retail theft 1st" on my wife's citation and on mine "Party to retail Theft" (Violate ORD no. 7.02 / 943.50). They issued me ticket for $177 and informed me that I cannot go to that store again for 1 year.

My question is what exactly will be on my and my wife's record ? I am a foreign worker working in this country on H1b visa. Does it affect my future green card / visa processing ?

Should I consult any lawyer in this case ?

Thank you very much in advance for the answer. Also what exactly shows up on my record when some company runs a background check ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


.Because this matter is so important she should really get a lawyer. Many factors such as age, prosecutor discretion, what judge you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say her court case outcome..

She can miss defenses and say the wrong things if you are not represented by an advocate as your attorney.

You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


You havent been charged with a crime. However, please see an immigration attorney to see how this will effect your rights. I suggest Eric Straub (414) 224-8472

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer